Damn this is strange, Apache suddenly just died on me after Vista installed some updates, the gauge in both wamp and xampp shows it as running but accessing localhost results in a no no. No matter how I tried to make things work, deactivating the firewall, UAC and a slew of other actions I was about to give up when I tried 127.0.0.1 without expecting it to work at all, but it did.
So then I just had to check the contents of C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc, and it looked like this:
I disabled that line and added the IP that works, it now looks like this:
#::1 localhost 127.0.0.1 localhost
And I can access my local stuff through http://localhost again.