Back in September I made some changes to the blog, all recommended by various “experts” (witch doctors), did it result in more Google-traffic? Hardly, this is a graph of what I’ve gotten from Google the past few months:
As we can see it all began with a slew of jQuery articles in July, various search queries involving jQuery is roughly responsible for 50% of Google referrals. After that we simply have a linear increase as would be expected from a continuous flow of new jQuery related articles. If the SEO had really been effective a spike would’ve been due at least in October sometime, but it’s absent.
In other words: A complete waste of time, the only things giving you better ranking are high quality external links and freshness of content, possibly also click through frequency from Google search results, that’s about it. Well except for the content itself of course.